Saturday, August 13, 2011

Who bolts the door?


A couple of weeks ago I had the wonderful experience of attending the Synod of Lakes and Prairie’s Synod School.  The keynote speaker for this camp/conference was Associate Professor of Homiletics at Columbia Theological Seminary Rev. Anna Carter Florence (she also happens to be a friend of mine as I was in her Jr. High & Sr. High youth group).  Anna’s keynote addresses focused on Preaching as Testimony (which is also the title of her book).  
During her keynote addresses Anna took us through the process she uses with her seminary students as they prepare their sermons.  In a small group the students read aloud the Scripture passage.  The second time reading it aloud they focus on the parts of speech primarily the verbs.  Then each student is asked what verb and/or verb phrase sticks with them and why.  Once the students have verbalized this they are asked the question “What does this passage say about God?”  She stresses to her students that sermons are about God not about them.  The last set of questions are What do you want to say about this?  And what do you hope it will do?
Anna took us through this process with the Scripture passage 2 Samuel 13:1-22, known as the “Rape of Tamar.”  After reading through this passage with the group my verb phrase was “bolted the door after her” (verse 18).  My final day at my previous call felt like the door was “bolted” after me.  I was not allowed to return for a final Sunday to say good bye or have closure with most of the congregation.  It felt to me like I had done something wrong, was no longer welcome, and I was not appreciated by the congregation.  When a door is bolted against someone those inside no longer want that person in their presence. 
Initially it was difficult for me to figure out what this verb phrase said about God.  I realized that it was Amnon who ordered the door bolted and the servant who did did the bolting.  It was not God (in fact God is not mentioned directly in this passage) who bolted the door.  God does not bolt door to keep us out!  In fact God does just the opposite-God says “knock and the door shall be opened”.  There are many times when we feel lonely and it feels like God is very far away.  In my experience it not that God is far away but rather I have not recognized God’s Spirit living with in me.  The Good News is that God is always present in our lives! 
This way of reading and interacting with Scripture has spoken to me in two particular ways.  First, I once again see and experience Scripture as the living Word of God. Anna’s love of Scripture is infectious.  Her way of looking at Scripture as a testimony to God gave me a new outlook on reading and interacting with Scripture-it made Scripture come alive for me.  Second, I am beginning to ponder what implications Anna’s idea of “preaching as testimony” has on Christian Education (more on that in another “post”).  Thank you to Anna for bringing scripture to life for me again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment