Monday, January 25, 2016

WWJD? The "Outcasts" of Society and Our Personal Response

The New Testament is filled with stories of Jesus interacting with the outcast. In fact these stories are predominate in the Gospels. Jesus is either interacting with, telling parables about or telling his disciples about interacting with outcasts. It's not just that Jesus is interacting with outcast but rather that he is treating them as a Child of God. He sees their humanity AND the divinity that lives within them. He sees and treats them as God would. By his example and teaching he shows and reminds us to do the same.

Yesterday, this concept became very real to me. I don't consider myself a prejudice person in fact I consider myself to be very open minded about and empathetic towards the "outcasts" of our society. Yet, yesterday I was forced to take a deeper look within myself and ask "how would Jesus treat this person?" The first experience occurred at First Presbyterian Church in South St. Paul MN where I was teaching an Adult Education class on Contemplative Spiritual Practices. Earlier in the week I'd been contacted (via email) by Jennifer, the member in charge in Sunday morning Adult Education. So I was expecting to be greeted by her upon arrival. I first saw her from the back; she was tall and wore a lovely dress. When she turned around to greet me and introduce herself it was clear she was a transgender women. I admit I was a bit shocked and starred at her for a moment before I responded. It was this moment of shock that has stayed with me. Why should I be shocked to see a transgendered person? Why should I be shocked to see a transgendered person in church? Why should a be shocked to see a transgendered person in a leadership position in a church? I shouldn't and yet I was!

Fast forward to that evening. Westminster Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis, MN has been hosting homeless and underprivileged men, women and children for an Sunday evening meal once a month for over 25 years. The young adult group, WestConnect, had volunteered to help serve this sit down meal and I had signed up to participate. Unlike that morning when there was a moment that stuck with me, the evening experience on a whole has stuck with me. As I looked out over the individuals sitting down for a home cooked warm meal I began to see them differently. As I interacted with each individual I began to truly see them as individuals who are just like me. As a long time FEAST volunteer said in our orientation, "These people care about the same things that you do. They want to talk about what is going on the world-football, the weather, music etc." It was true!

So how would Jesus treat these people? First of all Jesus wouldn't be shocked by someones outward appearance. Jesus would treat each individual with respect, love and compassion. We all probably know that and we all know that is how we "should" be treating others. Yet, as the saying goes sometimes "it is easier said than done." So what does respect, love and compassion towards the "outcasts" of our society look like? How can we respond to the "outcast" with respect, love and compassion? These are questions that I am still pondering for myself. I know someways I can be more like Jesus but I also know that I can do more. I will strive to make better choices and strive to see EVERYONE as God see them and respond accordingly.

How will you respond?


No comments:

Post a Comment