Monday, November 9, 2015

Capturing the Beauty Amongst the Chaos

According to my parents I have always loved to be outside and to create things. This is most likely why I find outdoor photography such a spiritual experience. It is one way God enters my soul -  grounding and transforming me. I find that if I go out into nature on photography walk I not only come back with some great shots but I come back more alive and in tune with myself and with God, for I have glimpsed (even captured) the beauty of God's creation in the chaos of this world.

If you look though my photographs either on this blog or other places they have been "displayed" you will notice that a majority of them are close up of objects with the exception of my sunset photographs. I was told once that the type of photography (close up vs. non close up) tells a lot about how you see/view the world. Thus, I think my photography reflects how I perceive the world and reveals something about how I relate to the world. If you know me well you know I am a very detail oriented person. I tend to focus on small aspects of a situation or project, sometimes forgetting to look at the larger picture. I like to hone into the the details because I believe they are often overlooked as an important aspect of a situation or project. The details reveal much about the whole. They can be messy as well as beautiful. Without the details there is no whole.

In my photography I love to look for the the beautiful in the chaos. I love to hone into one small part of a larger landscape and capture its beauty. In a world full of chaos we need to find ways to hone into the small aspects of our lives that give us joy, laughter, and beauty. I believe this is one ways God enters into our soul in the midst of chaos, struggle, or hopelessness. This is is what transforming love looks like.

One aspect of my passion and purpose is to hold space for individuals to catch a glimpse of beauty, joy and laughter. It is in this space that healing and wholeness can be experienced. I am honored to walk this journey with others through my photography, my future career as well as other times and places where this can occur.

What are your favorite types of photographs to look at? To ponder? What types of photographs make you cringe?

(So you might have been expecting some photographs...well this post was not about the photographs themselves but rather a written reflection on photography.)

No comments:

Post a Comment