Monday, October 19, 2015

Love - It Changes Everything

One of the instructors at the yoga studio I go to tells us every class that we are "entities of love" (or today the phrase was "points of love"). He challenges us to "give that love away" because it "will change the world." Despite being a Christian I forget about love. I get so caught up in my own anxiety or get in my own head. I forget that I am worthy of love and belonging. I forget that God loves each of us unconditionally. We all need to be reminded of this daily if not multiple times a day!

Today I was struck by the phrase "give that love away." It can seem like a huge task to show love to each person we come into contact with every day. How do I show love to that customer who I know nothing about? How do I show love to the child who has been overly crabby all day? How do I show love to the co-worker who just treated me with disrespect? How do I show love to my fellow church member who is acting out in a meeting? How do I show love to my best friend in her greatest time of need?

The more I thought about doing this the more I realized it doesn't have to be overwhelming. You don't need to say just the right thing or do something extravagant. It is really about the small but intentional ways you show love. It might be a genuine smile, taking the time to listen to one more story, rising above the disrespect, saying a small word of encouragement, giving a high five or a hug, or even just holding open the door for someone. It is about taking that extra moment and being intentional about your act of love. It is about making that act of love personal and situational. You might only have a split second to act so make it count.

I challenge you to take one day this week and focus on showing love to each and every person you come into contact with that day. Notice how it changes you. Notice how it changes the people around you. Notice how God works through you. Notice how this makes you feel. Notice you ARE changing the world with each act of love!

(Oh and report back...I'd love to hear your stories and experiences!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment