Monday, October 26, 2015

Healing Not Controlling

This past Friday I posted the following quote as part of Friday Photographs"Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our lives." I love what this quote implies about healing and it's effect on our lives. When we are hurt emotionally or spiritually it controls our lives. The wound is all we can think about. We talk about it, we think about it, we dream about it and we worry about it.

This was the case when I broke my foot 8 years ago. My broken foot "controlled" everything thing I did and thought about. There were certain things I couldn't do because I was on crutches. I was always thinking about my next move and if my "wound" would effect it. How was I going to open the door with grocery bags in my hand? How was I going to get up and not put weight on my foot. However, as my foot began to heal I thought less and less about how it affected my everyday life. I  could walk around and not worry about falling or stepping funny. My foot is fully healed yet there are days I am aware this wound existed but it doesn't control my life.

Just as with the feeling of my foot, as emotional and spiritual wounds begin to heal we see a transformation. We begin to notice that we are not talking, thinking, dreaming, or worrying about the wound. The wounds no longer paralyze us from taking action. When a wound has transformed from living with it to telling about it healing has begun. It becomes part of our lived story rather than our life. 

Telling the story of our woundedness is proof that the damage existed. I believe sharing our stories of woundedness it a way that we can help others in their journey toward wholeness. Our stories remind others that they are not alone and that they can also heal from their wounds. My hope is that I can use my stories of woundedness, shame and fear as one tool to hold space for healing and wholeness. 

I want YOU to experience this quote as I have. I want to help YOU do so. What are some ways that you find healing from your wounds? What tools or support would you like to have to assist you in your emotional and/or spiritual healing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment