Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Our Death and Ressurection

There are moments where we are acutely aware of God's presence within us. We can feel God's energy moving in and around us. We are fully aware of the Spirit's indwelling. These moments are both completely terrifying and completely comforting all at once. When I am most fully aware of God's presence within me I tend to want to try and flea for fear I am not worthy or enough. Yet, I also want to dwell in this moment forever trusting I am enough and I am completely worthy.

The more I am fully aware of God's indwelling the less terrified I am. I think the more we are aware of God's presence within us the more comforting it is. In fact I think this is what it means to be authentic or to be your true self. Our authenticity comes from embracing who God created us to be and thus how God's Spirit shines through us. In order to let the Spirit shine from within us we must peel back the layers of our "shadow self" that formed because of life circumstances and what "the world" told us we should be. Uncovering our authentic self does not happen overnight. It takes time, energy, and work. In reality it might even take a life time because when we peel back one layer another one can form. I guess you could say uncovering your authentic self is a continuous process. It is a process of death and re-birth.

In many ways this process is resurrection process. Yet, unlike Jesus' death and resurrection which only occurred once ours happens daily. Jesus' death and resurrection give us a foundation for our own death and resurrection process. We know that Jesus was afraid and even prayed not to die. He wasn't fully prepared for his death or his resurrection. Yet, in faith he prayed "not my will but yours." We too are afraid to let parts of us die. For these parts of us seems to be foundational to who we are. The may be comforting they may have even served us well for a time. We wonder if I let this part of me die what will take it's place? Or will I know myself with out this part of me? Will others know me after this part of me is "gone"?  Jesus resurrection reminds us that death is not the end and that with death brings renewal and re-bith. Resurrection reminds us that by peeling away the layers of our "shadow self" we are able to be more fully alive and fully present in this world. We are able to have more moments of being acutely aware of God's presence within us. In the end it's about LOVE-the ability to give and receive God's love more freely. And that my friends is very Good News!!

No comments:

Post a Comment