Monday, November 2, 2015

Mandala-A Spiritual Practice of Coloring

Recently I have been reacquainting myself with different spiritual practices that I either learned about in seminary and/or found to be effective for me at one time. For the past couple of weeks I have been doing a spiritual practice called Praying in Color (I wrote about it in a previous post). While I have found this practice to be very grounding and effective this morning I knew I needed something different. My soul was telling me that I needed to think less about what I was doing with my hands and let my mind just wander a bit. This was a perfect opportunity to engage in a spiritual practice using a Mandala!

Mandalas are an ancient practice that are used in many religious traditions, including Christianity. The word "mandala" means "circle" in Indian language of Sanskrit. Traditionally, mandalas are designs that have a center and are based on circle.



However, some modern mandalas designs are not circular in nature (like the one below).



No matter what the design is there are two consistent aspects of mandalas. One it that they made up of geometric patters and second that you color these designs. It is the act of coloring that is the real spiritual practice. Coloring lets your mind go into a different mode of being. As you color you begin to relax both physically and mentally allowing your mind to stay more present with God. This doesn't mean that your thoughts won't wander to your to do list (as mine did more than once today) or that you won't begin to feel stressed about something in your life (that happened to me too). Rather it allows you to let those thoughts and feelings come, sit for a moment (hopefully only a moment), let them go, and then refocus your attention on God.

Today's practice was difficult for several of the reasons mentioned above. I kept wanting to quit so I could get on with my day and my long "to-do list." Yet, I kept hearing the Spirit say, "Stay with me a little longer." I realized I need to MAKE time to sit with God, just be present, and let God's love seep into to my soul as I color. I didn't "finish" coloring the mandala today and that's okay. I am actually looking forward to "finishing" it tomorrow and seeing what I experience and feel.



Have you engaged the spiritual practice of mandalas? If so, share you experience in the comments other (including myself!) can learn and grow from your story? If you are interested in learning more about this practice please contact me! I'd love to talk with you about it. Happy coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment