Monday, September 28, 2015

Prayer Practices-Prayer Walk

When I was in seminary I had a Saturday morning ritual that prepared me for a day of studying. Each Saturday morning I would put on my tennis shoes, comfortable clothing and head out into the neighborhood for a prayer walk. I would walk the same route or at least a similar one this way I could focus in my prayer rather than where I was going. My route was perfect because for much of the route I could walk in the boulevard and feel a little more removed from the houses that lined the street. As I walked I would talk out loud to God. In the beginning I was very aware of the fact that someone might think I was a little coo-coo. Yet, the more I walked the more I realized that it didn't really matter what other people thought. This time was my time to talk to God and by golly I was going to to it my way!

I don't recall everything I prayed about. I do however, recall that my prayers were very self centered. They tended to focus on things that were happening in my life and affected me. I am sure they focused on my studies and my relationships with those around me. This self focused prayer time was what I needed at the time. I needed to say out loud what was I thinking and feeling so I could return to campus and hopefully be more effective in my studies.

I often wonder how this ritual might have been different if I had spend more time listening for and to God. I wonder if I might have heard a different calling or been more attuned to my authentic self. I wonder if I might have been less anxious and more grateful. As I write this blog I feel drawn to perhaps reengaging with this prayer walk practice with an emphasis on listening rather than talking. I might even come up with a mantra to use to help me concentrate on this aspect of prayer. Or perhaps I will focus on my yoga breath and the calm and openness this can bring.

As I am challenged to recommit to this practice that has been so life giving, I challenge you to try out this prayer practice. Maybe you want to walk the halls of your work place and say a prayer for your co-workers (and no you don't have to talk out loud). Perhaps you want to take a walk in the woods and listen for God's still small voice in the song's of the birds or the wind as it rustles the leaves. Maybe you take your family for a walk in the neighborhood praying for your neighbors as you walk.

If you do take this challenge please share your stories with me. I would love to hear how God is present in your life through prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment