Friday, August 19, 2011

Labyrinth and Prayer Walks

I have always liked taking walks outdoors by myself.  There are many times (when the weather is nice) that I find myself out walking in the woods or by a stream.  There is something calming about walking alone in nature.  When I was a child I was prone to walking off by myself in the woods of my grandparent’s property.  I had a favorite path with a stone staircase, I had a favorite tree I like to climb, and I loved to go out into the field and sit by myself with my thoughts.  Looking back I am sure this is how I “recharged my battery”.  I would even go so far as to say these walks were a form of prayer.
Visit www.pathsofpeace.com for more information about Labyrinths.
When I was in seminary I had a prayer ritual.  Every Saturday morning I would walk a set route in the neighborhood around the seminary and talk out loud to God.  I am sure there were people in the neighborhood who thought I was crazy but I didn’t care!  I knew I needed this time away from my friends and fellow students.  My walk with the Holy One was a life giving ritual in the midst of the busyness of seminary life.  
At some point during my time at seminary I discovered the seminary’s labyrinth.  I knew nothing about labyrinths but walked it anyway and found it to be another life giving encounter with the Holy.  However, I didn’t think much of my experiences walking it after that first experience.  However, the day I discovered the labyrinth God planted a “labyrinth seed” in my soul.  In recent years I have become fascinated with labyrinths. I have started to learn more about labyrinths; the different types, their history, and different ways to use them as prayer and meditation tools.  I find I seek them out wherever I go.  I find myself relying on them as part of my prayer life.  Like my walks in nature as I child, on a labyrinth I can walk alone with God in prayer.
I pray you will find walking the labyrinth to be a life giving journey with God!

2 comments: